Sunday, April 6, 2008

Can we get the gun from his hands now?

Charlton Heston is dead.

Whatever you may think about his politics, and there's lots to say on the subject, you can't deny that this man practically defined movie iconism. For me as a Jew, he made a particularly captivating Moses and will always be indeliably marked in my brain as him.

Later in life, of course, he became forever linked to the NRA as it's national leader and spokesperson. Few of you know this, but I am a lifetime member of the NRA, having grown up around rifles and shotguns courtesy of my father. I was also rated a Bar X Expert Marksman in the NRA shooting course. Even though I grew up with a comfortable familiarity with hunting and target shooting as a way of life, I still didn't agree with Mr. Heston's views regarding the subject. I had (have) particular issues with concealed handguns and the necessity of automatic rifles. Still, I admire anyone on any side of any issue who pursues their dreams with passion and courage. I have to hand it to Mr. Heston, and many other Republicans, who do just that. I don't always agree with them (seldom actually), but I respect their devotion to their causes.

I know this has nothing to do with Charlton, but since I'm on the subject, it saddens me that Democrats don't have the same kind of devotion, generally, to their own causes. It's my fervent belief that it's the passion that Senator Obama displays that makes him so attractive to voters. I never liked our President, but I have to give him props for being deeply committed to his beliefs and sticking by him.

By the way, if this post is starting to ramble and be incoherent, it's because it's 7:46AM on Sunday morning and I haven't slept all night, having been out at the Salami club watching Viv rake in the pots while I get it all in with the best of it and lose. More on that another time though.

Ok, I'm going to sleep now. The Season 5 loser's tourney is in a few hours!

No comments: