Thursday, August 7, 2008

Memories of past

I re-read a post of mine tonight and it made me wistful. Everyone was so happy that night (well, maybe not Mary). I met Kearns (a quality human being and a great poker player) for the first time that night, placed in the money in a tough tourney and that sheet cake was really touching to me.

This year, I can't even step foot in the Crackhouse for fear of a dramatic riot and there won't be any sheetcake. What a difference one year and one mistake make.

I have a lot to look forward to for the rest of the year and I'm truly thankful for many of the great things that have happened to me so far in the past 7 months. As my 36th birthday approaches quickly (August 12th, people!), I'm trying to concentrate on the future. As much as I'd love to go back in time and alter just a few moments, I don't have that luxury. So I'm approaching this birthday with the best of intentions of making the best with what I have.

Cherries from Lemons, so to speak.

I have the rest of the summer to reflect on where my life is going, but I suspect that I won't be able to find the answer. As CK and F-Train seem to be finding out, life doesn't have a metaphorical conclusion. It's such a cliche, but it's really just about the journey.

My life doesn't have a 'purpose' at this moment that I can see. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it or take advantage of the opportunities I *do* have. I'm going to see as much as I can, travel as much as I can and appreciate the friends I still have and the people who love me (an ever-changing population).

(God-dammit, I have to stop these late night Facebook sessions)

No comments: