Wednesday, October 7, 2009

O/8 goodness and a lapse of concentration

I went to Tuna tonight to play in the $5/$10 Omaha hi/lo game. My primary purpose was to pick up $255 that W owes me from selling my poker table. This was the original table that started the Wall Street Poker league, so it's a little bittersweet, but I can't let that get in the way of business! I chose to pick up the cash on Wed., so I could partake of the juicy O/8 game.

I did very well, scooping some very nice pots, including getting paid off with flopped quad Queens and not having to chop for low! I peaked at +$325, but finished shortly afterwards with +$242 due to a lapse of concentration.

Here's what happened. The game had switched to dealer's choice early on, meaning whoever was the button could choose between Omaha hi/lo or Omaha high only. But that was slowing down the game so we all agreed to make it a rotation game, one round of each. The game would change every time the button got to the 1 seat.

So far so good.

On my last hand before the dealer push, which is when I told myself I was going to leave, I picked up a so-so hand on the button. The game was Omaha high and my hand was K 5 7 6. The flop was a craptacular 5 9 3. I had flopped a meh flush draw, a double gutshot straight draw, a decent backdoor flush draw and an inside straight flush draw. When it checked all the way around to me, I checked, because I only had a four card draw to the nut high. The turn was a trouble card for me, 5. Now I had trip 5's. It checked to the cutoff, who bet it out. I called and everyone else folded. He said, "Uh oh, how badly am I beat here?", and then bet the river blind. Unfortunately, the river was the A, so I was forced to call with my flush and he tabled 5-9 for the boat.

That wasn't the lapse of concentration I was talking about. I decided to leave the table because the new dealer was pushing in and the guy who had just beaten me said, "You can take a courtesy hand". And then I lost concentration. Because the dealer had pushed, I made the mental error of thinking the game was now Omaha Hi-Lo, when, in fact, it was still Omaha high! I took my courtesy hand of 2 5 6 K. It limped around PF and the flop saw 8 players. The flop was 2 4 8. I've got a double gutshot straight draw, and my mind is telling me that I also have a decent low draw! WTF myself?!? It's high only! To make matter worse, I had a talker in my left ear and the dealer was seriously fucking things up. It was raised on the flop and the dealer collected the whole pot and almost dealt the cards before me, and another player called the raise. Then, he dealt the turn Q, but never burned! So then he burned the Q and dealt the real turn, the 3. This gives me the nut straight, but with 3 diamonds on board, isn't great in a multiway hand. However, I felt good about my 65 low! Whoops. The turn was bet and then raised and I called both bets. Both players were going high, I felt, and when I check-called the river (4), one player showed the Ace high flush and the other player showed 8's full. I checked for their lows and tabled 65 low, and was dismayed when I had to be told my last hand was Omaha high only!!!!

Grrrr.... #concentrationfail

Still, I left with $242 in profit and another $255 from the sale of my smaller table. So a good night altogether. Also, I laid 10-1 to a dealer in the top of the 7th that the Yankees would take the first game. He took the bet for $5 and I won that bet, but tipped him the $5 anyway. #niceguyswin

2 comments:

chris said...

"The game was Omaha high and my hand was K♣ J♣ 7♥ 6♥. The flop was a craptacular 5♥ 9♣ 3♥. I had flopped a meh flush draw, a double gutshot straight draw, a decent backdoor flush draw and an inside straight flush draw. When it checked all the way around to me, I checked, because I only had a four card draw to the nut high. The turn was a trouble card for me, 5♠. Now I had trip 5's?"
What do you mean you had trip 5s? I don't see one in your hand...

Jamie said...

Good catch. I updated the hand to reflect my holdings. This is the problem when you blog hours after the fact!