Friday, June 8, 2007

On birthdays and broken legs

I sent out the Evite a few days ago for last night’s game and the response was tremendous. Nine confirmed seats in an hour and it quickly filled up after that, with a long waiting list of maybe’s. On top of that, I bone-headedly booked my band practice on the same night. So Scott came to the rescue and took over hosting duties while I went and played rock god.



Imagine my surprise when I walked back into my apartment in the middle of the second tournament to find only 9 players around the table. Kevin, a new player who’s only been to the game one time before, bailed on the league without leaving any messages (Bad etiquette Kevin!). And Thomas, who was going to bring a guest, told me at 6:30 that his guest had dropped out and it was going to be him alone. Then he didn’t show up and left me an email saying that he had been to the emergency room at the hospital and it turns out he has a broken fibia! It seems he slipped and fell near the elevator at his workplace and fractured his leg. David, if you’re reading this, Ka-Ching! To make up one lost spot, Puiki, back from her long hiatus studying for the CFA exam, came in for the second tourney.



I can’t comment much on either tourney other than to see we had another all-woman final 3 in the second tourney. I’m very much digging this trend of having many beautiful women at the table. It’s my sincere hope that the league is eventually comprised of nothing but women and me. Is that too much to hope for? :-p



We had a cash game afterwards that almost didn’t get together, since a whole bunch of regular players wimped out (“it’s a school night” whine, whine), but we managed to keep six players around. I decided to break my self-imposed poker hiatus in order to keep the game moving. And if you believe that…



The cash game went well, with a few notable hands. The biggest pot of the night goes to Scott St. Germain, who flopped a boat with K8 and a board of K88. Vivian had 89 against him and John had KJ. Scott played it well and tripled up. Another memorable hand was when Wendy, who was dealing, dealt a flop of AAA, and then a fourth Ace on the turn! The pot was only two dollars, but I took it down with King high. Liezel also took a nice pot when her 3h5h hit a nicely hidden inside straight draw. In the end, I was the big cash winner, followed by Scott. Does this mean my poker hiatus is over? Not quite. I still have plenty of summer to enjoy. But I might sit in a tourney or two before the month is out…



And Happy Birthday to all of us! Wall Street Poker is one year old today! June 8, 2006 was the first tournament of the inaugural season. While the seasons are now quarterly, the first season was an extended 7 months, with Wendy narrowly pulling ahead of me in the last three weeks to take the title. Ah, memories…

No comments: