Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Things are working out for me (mark this date)

My ipod has been making bad hard drive noises on me and crashing sometimes. This is not good. I want my music for Vegas! I was considering getting the hard drive replaced by the Apple store but my warranty expired long ago and the replacement hard drive with labor is nearly $200! Then I thought about getting an Ipod Touch. It's $360 for the 16GB version, and it looks great (plus no hard drive), but I couldn't help thinking there had to be a better way. Then I ran into this website, which explains in great detail how to replace the Ipod hard drive yourself. I read the info and decided I could try this.

I did some research and found that the exact replacement hard drive for my 20GB model was only $40 with free shipping from some company out in Iowa. I would have gotten the larger hard drive, for a capacity upgrade, but I didn't know if it was going to work, so I went with the cheaper option first. The hard drive arrived and I went to work. Following the instructions, along with a demonstration video found here, I was able to open the Ipod case, remove the old hard drive, and replace it with my new one. I closed the case, easy as pie, and plugged it in and restored the software with NO PROBLEMS! I'm now listening to my click-free, non-crashing new hard drive and my Ipod might as well be brand new.

For $40.

I feel good.

2 comments:

taetopia said...

AWESOME! Great Job! Congrats! I love it when things work out like that.

Jordan said...

Very nice. I had a similar situation with my PS2 years ago. It wasn't reading any discs, so I found a site and followed directions to open it up and clean the laser. More recently, I followed instructions from Dell on how to fix my laptop, but halfway through, I realized I was taking apart a freaking $2000 computer and chickened out. Still, its great that, thanks to the Internet, this sort of info is available.