Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A litany of...stuff

Ok, aside from my personal life (which is freaking awesome!), I've had a very strange week. It's taken a lot out of me. Tonight is the night I pack for my super terrific trip to California (starting tomorrow), but let me begin earlier in the week.

The first girl I ever kissed found me on Facebook. She looks a lot like herself, only older (as would be expected). I haven't spoken to her in 25 years but a few camp friends have found me recently and we kind of found each other through that. It's only noteworthy because I went out on a date Monday where were talking about our first kiss. *That Night* I got my Facebook message. Weird, huh? I was 11 years old when it happened and we were playing spin the bottle at a camp social thingy out on the golf course. She was a great kisser, too. You know. For an 11 year old.

Last night was a tourney night at WSP. I graciously gave up my seat so Darko could play. Bad news for him, too, because he prop bet that he could cash and outrank Wendy in the game. Neither of which came true. He busted out first as a matter of fact. The game was a marathon though. For the first time in memory, all 11 starting players were still playing 90 minutes into the tourney! Blinds were at 200/400 and money kept getting pushed around. It was pretty sick. The second tourney, as a result, went relatively late and W and Liezl went heads up with both of them making pretty good suckouts. Liezl made a better suckout though to finish first.

I have to make one comment about the tourneys, though. Without naming names, here it is:

This league is for the enjoyment of all and the advancement of our poker skills. It is *not* about money. I don't condone coaching a player in the middle of a hand, especially from the rail, but I *encourage* ALL players to coach each other when a hand is over. That goes for whether it's a full ring game, down to 4 players or heads up. None of us are playing for a World Series bracelet and none of us who are any good could have gotten to that point without that coaching. So, to the person to whom this applies (and you know who you are), if you don't like it then find another place to play. This league is about learning and fun and *friendly* competition. You may comment all you want on this issue, but I will not budge and that's the end of it. Period. The boss has spoken.

Yeah, you can tell there was a bit of a brou-ha-ha last night. I'm over it now, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, did I mention I didn't even PLAY IN MY OWN TOURNAMENTS?!?! That's another reason why I got pissed off. On top of that, I had had a REALLY shitty day at work. My boss was fired yesterday, along with a whole group of high ranking people. Today, they started on the lower levels and a whole group of colleagues were axed. So you'll all just excuse me if I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks right about now.

In the midst of all this, my ex-wife, whom I am still very friendly with, wanted to get together with me tonight for dinner. I said yes. At the last minute, she asks if she can invite her boyfriend. I said fine since it was clear she wanted us to be introduced. Everything went well but there was a bit of nervousness I overcompensated for by being super-friendly. Just how I roll. He's a nice guy, but when they started talking about where they wanted to get married, I couldn't help feeling a twinge. I shouldn't, I know, since I don't feel like that for her anymore, but I did anyway. Some feelings never really go away, I guess. Still, I'm super happy for her since she seems to be genuinely in love and I would never begrudge that to anyone. It's a wonderful feeling.

Ok, that's all for now. The next post I make will be from sunny California, where I will have lots to say about the California poker scene. I'm hoping to play lots of mixed games and limit games if at all possible. But, and I will remain true to this, I will play *super* tight and make money, dammit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, working on wall street really sucks these days...have a great time on the left coast.

Anonymous said...

long time reader, first time caller

providing guidance/tips (coaching) during a hand is a no-no, that's a given.

as mentioned, the spirit of the league is to make better players out of everyone. and, "coaching" between hands is permissible and actually encouraged. ie. discuss the hand in detail, what to do, what to do better, what not to do, did the player miss a bet, should he/she have checked-raise instead, etc.

the incident, however, falls in the gray area, where it was down to heads-up. and, while the coaching transpired b/n hands - the act of doing so during the heads-up phase of a tournament is poor etiquette. the advice did influence the outcome of the tournament (though one would say that its outcome due to the chip stack advantage was inevitable anyways), hence the controversy.

again, completely within the rules and spirit of the table. but, the advice could've been given at the end of the tournament, and still achieve the same camaraderie.

was a "line" crossed? no, not technically, but it was just bad form.

have a good time in CA.

Booby Stealz said...

i should have given you my seat for the 2nd game...i was so tired. thanks again for your hospitality Jamie. it seemed like you had a long day...makes sense now.

bub said...

They were discussing where they wanted to get married while having dinner with you? I've been divorced from my first wife for 18 years and we are friendly also (probably or in spite of having a daughter together). I'm sure I would've felt a little twinge myself. Anyways, have fun out here in California it's been beautiful this past week.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Do the people's elbow on him one time. Shame on her, bro...she should know better.